Category Archives: Gardening

It is Really Coming Together Now

I have been working on the system just not documenting it. Had a little snag the other day. Burned up my old Miter saw, So had to go to Lowes and get a new one, ah shucks…lol. Well got all the lumber cut and partially assembled. I did all that I could in the drive way. It is a better work surface than the backyard, not such a grade.

My New Toy

The rails for the carriage

The rest of the carriage.

Yesterday I got the rails on the IBC to hold the Duck Weed tank.

I have gotten started on the plumbing. I have the fitting in the fish tank where the water will flow to the two pickle barrels.

Also in the pickle barrel coming in from the fish tank, and the connection of the the two pickle barrels.

SO that is where the project is right now . Tomorrow I plan on putting the carriage that will hold the grow beds . I think it will be easier to put it together inside the greenhouse.  we will see how that turn out.

Advertisements

Cleaning the Barrels

I got out and cut the barrels in half yesterday. Then today I washed the insides of them. At first I thought it would be harder than it was. The rusty looking stains that were on the inside and tops of the barrels actually came off very easily. Just used the dish soap and scrub brush that I used on the pickle barrels. That got most of it and then detailed with Mr. Clean errasers, and it turned out pretty good. 

Got More Barrels :oD

Went yesterday to Pink Hill NC to get the rest of the barrels I needed to complete the system. I pick up 2 of the blue barrels 55 gal,with the bung holes that will be cut in half to make the Grow beds.  

I also picked up 4 black pickle barrels, 60 gal ea.  Two of these will be in the system and 2 for rain barrels.

I got the pickle barrels all cleaned out and ready to go . The blue ones I did a little bit on them I will get them thoroughly after I have cut them in half.

These are the 2 that will be the rain barrels.

Here are the two pickle barrels in place .

My original system had a catastrophic failure Sunday. THe left bank of grow beds had been slipping slowly toward the pond.  So I needed to do something anyway , well one of the totes broke at the bottom and I was lucky I didn’t loose all the water. So I took the left bank out and the flood tank out. I piped the water directly to the right bank of grow beds. So they are now running continuously.

The rest of these are some plants I have brought into the green house because the nights are getting cooler.

The milk jugs are filled with water , part of the thermal mass.

OK thats it for today ,will start the plumbing tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get it up and running soon. Might be running on a extenion cord for a little bit , I will eventually get it wired …I know Eric I will call before I start tat  LOL..

Did you notice the volunteer tomato I have coming up out of the cinder block hole. I will keep it and see what it does. The rest are weeds and I will get rid of them.

FIsh Dieing??????????

I have several of my Gold Fish die in the tank. not all at once but one here and there . But today I had another one floating, this is two days in a row. I took a quick count and I am down to about a dozen , down from close to three dozen at the beginning. I tested the water and all the test were perfect.

The Ph was 7.4

Ammonia 0 ppm

nitrite 0  ppm

Nitrate 0 ppm

So not sure what the problem is , the fish all seem healthy. They are eating fine, and growing well they have tripled in size since the spring. We are not have really cool nights, and the pond is about 2 1/2 ft deep at the deepest point,  I am stumped for now , I do have several resources to check. Will keep posted.

Got the Green House Up

Here are just a few shots of the green house up;. I still have to get the system up and running. Will have to make another trip to pick up more barrels.

All Framed Out

Got started today around 0800 when my friend Eric arrived.  With the exception of installing a few pieces backwards and not installing the extra bolts when the instructions said to and having to back track and correct those, it went really well. Could not have done it without the help of my Bud Eric though.

As you can see in the photos above we got everything done minus putting the door and windows in , and then installing the clear panels.  The shot of the tarps show that we whittled down the number of parts. Tomorrow I hope to get the rest of it done.

Ready to Assembly the Green House

Today I got to work plumbing the two blue 55 gal barrels that I will be using for the sump.These are tied together to fill together. I have decide to us a sump so that the water in the fish tank stays the same level.  I will put a pump in the  sump, it will pump into the fish tank . The water will flow through a overflow into  2 black 55 gal barrels that are tied together so they fill together. A overflow on the black drums will flow to the grow beds , which will drain through bell siphons back to the sump. I will also have a raft system set up to have water pumped through a “T” to the raft tank which will overflow back to the sump.

Right now I have the IBC for the fish tank and Raft tank, and the two blue barrels for the sump. I will be using two black pickle barrels for the two barrels before the grow beds. The grow beds will be two more blue barrels cut in half and filled with gravel.
Still have to get the barrels for the grow beds and the pickle barrels. I will also be adding pickle barrels to collect rain off the green house.